Every Friday, Jamie, ACE, ACSM, a personal trainer and fitness specialist and the other half of Girl-Woman will be providing healthy fitness tips for girls and women.
With spring being the high season for weddings, the pressure to look perfect on the big day is leading some girls to brideorexia (Newsweek). The only way to look your best is to combine healthy eating with exercise. Since many spring and summer brides wear a sleeveless wedding gown, the following exercises concentrate on your upper body.
Squat to Overhead Press
- Make sure all your weight is in your heels.
- Knees should be in line, NOT over your toes.
- Keep Dumbbells in line with your ears during the squat phase. Don't let them rest on your shoulders.
- Start with your palms facing your quads.
- Lead the movement with your elbows..
- Keep your wrists long and strong
- Bring dumbbells up to the middle of your chest and back down.
Military Press On Stability Ball
- Hips should be pressed into the ball and feet shoulder width apart for stability.
- Palms are facing the floor.
- Start with dumbbells in line with your ears and bring arms straight overhead.
- Start with hands in line with the center of your chest and about 1/2-foot outside you body.
- Drop down to about 90 degrees in your elbow joint.
- Press through your palms on the way up.
- Hinge forward so your chest is resting on your quads.
- Start with dumbbells by your ankles and palms facing each other.
- Keep a slight bend in your elbows throughout the motion.
- Bring dumbbells straight up and squeeze through your shoulder blades.
Start out with 3 sets of 10-12. If you want more upper body strength exercises, you can add in good old fashion biceps curls and triceps dips.