We need something to tantalize our Tuesday. Buried under more than a foot of snow with a blizzard right around the corner, we are dreaming of free giveaways from beauty blogs and magazines to cheer us up.
If Manic Monday didn't put a smile on your face, maybe Tantalizing Tuesday will lift your spirits. Good, better, and best -- Jeez, English grammar can be so frustrating with its irregular forms like good, better, best, due to the complex etymology of its lexicon, which wipes the smile off our face some days -- but good, better, and best sums up the beauty blog and magazine giveaways this week.
(This post was written for Coutorture on the newly released book Harper's Bazaar Great Style. The Best Ways To Update Your Look.)
What is classic?
- Classic can be defined as something that will always last, without regard to fashion or fads. Think the little black dress. It is always in vogue.
- Classic is not trying too hard but giving the impression of being modern and sophisticated.
- Classic is a clothing style that doesn't scream "I am all the rage" but quietly makes a statement.
- Classic is dressing in what suits your body type and personal style.
- Classic is wearing what makes you feel beautiful and confident.
- Classic is timeless and doesn't struggle for effect.
- Classic is a signature look that works year after year. (In my case my signature look for twenty years was a tuxedo. It was my go-to LBD.)
- Classics are those pieces that are timeless and work season after season -- a crisp white blouse, a pencil skirt, a pair of dress slacks, a black cashmere turtleneck sweater, and the LBD keep you in the craze without being too crazy.
To mark their 140th anniversary, Harper's Bazaar has released a book that will help you determine your sense of style, celebrate your size, and choose investment pieces. Harper's Bazaar Great Style: Best Ways to Update Your Look by Jenny Levin is a one-stop style guide that covers everything from wardrobe essentials to evening glam. It's a must-have reference for any fashionista. The boomerista will embrace the section on how to be fabulous at any age. ($17.11 at Amazon.com.)