Although we adore print magazines, we are always leery of beauty editors' lists of favorite beauty products or their Best of the Best lists.
Why? Because big advertising dollars may influence or brainwash the staff's favorites.
But we admire and trust ShopSmart.
Launched in the fall 2006, ShopSmart, a sister magazine of Consumer Reports, draws upon Consumer Reports’ celebrated tradition of accepting no advertisements and providing unbiased product reviews.
In their recent Best of the Best mascara lists, 34 women tested 16 lengthening and/or thickening formulas of mascara. Was the winner the darling of print magazines, Maybelline Great Lash Washable mascara?
While the top-rated wand was the more expensive Lancôme Definicils, $24, another very good choice was the affordable Max Factor Lash Perfection Volume Couture, $7.
Another surprise was how beauty magazine staple Maybelline Great Lash Washable mascara fared in the tests. While it rated very good overall, several panelists said it was nothing special and some complained about clumps.
We concur with all of their findings, with a few modifications.
Lancôme Definicils is worth the money if you have it, but with a savings of $17, any recessionista should invest in Max Factor Lash Perfection Volume Couture, $7. We are also fans of budget-friendly Rimmel Volume Flash Instant Thickening Mascara ($7.49).
With respect to Maybelline Great Lash Washable mascara, we never understood how the so-called iconic pink and green beauty product always got top ratings in fashion and beauty magazines.
Hmmm, could it be as a result of the advertising dollars that Maybelline pays the magazines?
Don't get us wrong. We don't know of anything better than getting a fresh, new fashion or beauty magazine, grabbing a cup of steaming tea, and putting our feet up on the coffee table and browsing through the pages.
But caveat emptor: Let the buyer beware.
The next time you are perusing through a magazine with a Best of Best list, dig a little deeper and see if perhaps there is a full-page ad for the beauty products listed as the best.
Current giveaways on GWBBB:
Current headlines on GWBBB:
- Dwell Baby Introduces the Weekender Bag
- 2. Manic Monday Free Giveaway: Starlite Skin Care Laser
- 3. Drugstore Deals for the Recessionista: Hair Color
- 4. Fitness Friday: Emotional Workout
- 5. How To Flat Iron Your Hair
- 6. Total Beauty Web Tour: 12/1/08
- 7. Beauty Product Review: Anastasia Essential Brow Tools
- 8. Marshalls CUBE Rock and Stock Your Closet Giveaway
- 9. Petunia Pickle Bottom For Chic Moms
- 10. Tantalizing Tuesday Free Giveaway: Buzzillions
- 11. 2008 Holiday Tipping Guide for Recessionistas
- 12. Cyber Manic Monday Afternoon Free Giveaways
- 13. Manic Monday Free Giveaway: Karmin Flat Iron
- 14. Sunday Funnies: Pharmaceutical Chardonnay
- Holiday Tipping Guide for Recessionistas
- Petunia Pickle Bottom for Chic Moms
- Cyber Manic Monday Afternoon Free Giveaways
- Manic Monday Free Giveaway: Karmin Flat Iron
- Sunday Funnies: Pharmaceutical Chardonnay
- Deal du Jour: Tory Burch Tote
Most popular headines on GWBBB:
- Drugstore Deals for the Recessionista: L'Oreal
- 9 Tips From Rapists To Keep You Safe
- Manic Monday Free Giveaway: TwisTeD Silver Shower Earrings
- Beauty Product Review: The Body Shop's Nature's Minerals
- More Magazine November 2008
- 7 Best Online Shopping Sites For Smart Women
- Book Review: You Being Beautiful
- Holiday Fa-La-La
- Holiday Fa-La-La
- 10 Things Women Over 40 Shouldn't Wear
- What Are Ivanka Trump's Beauty Essentials
- PZI Jeans For Real Women Who Eat
- Review of Unbelievabra by Shapeez
- 10 Worst Fashion Trends