Book Review of YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty
In YOU: Being Beautiful, Drs. Oz and Roizen offer you a tool chest of tips and tricks to help you discover your own state of beauty.
In an attempt to capture real beauty, they argue that beauty is about how you feel and how you define your life. Looking beautiful, feeling beautiful, and being beautiful work together to form what they believe is the ultimate goal in life.
The ultimate goal in life is to feel good about yourself because you have strong self-esteem and a healthy, energetic existence that allows you to appreciate the subtle beauty of day-to-day life, and because you know your purpose in life - and to show off that purpose by helping others do the same.
In the first part of the book, you are instructed to measure your YOU-Q through a series of questions. After you calculate your score, you can work on increasing your score as you implement the advice suggested in the book.
In Part 1, Looking Beautiful, Drs. Oz and Roizen offer tips and tricks for the following:
Glowing Skin. With hundreds of skin care products to choose from, according to Drs. Roizen and Oz, there is very little science for many of them. Only eight ingredients were mentioned as ones with scientific backing:
- Vitamin A (retinoids)
- Vitamin B3 (niacin or nicotinamide)
- Vitamin B5 (panthothenic acid, panthenol)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Alpha-hydroxy Acids
- Co-enzyme Q-10
- Ferulic acid
Luscious Hair. Much of this chapter is devoted to balding and hair loss.
Marvelous Mouth. As the title suggests, this chapter is devoted to a beautiful smile and teeth. Did you know that apples, carrots, and celery act as a natural stain remover, while greens such as broccoli, spinach, and lettuce creates a film over your teeth which acts as barrier against staining?
Nice Digits. We tried this remedy for heel calluses and it worked like a gem.
- 2 tablespoons of Vaseline
- 2 crushed-up Aspirin (salicylic acid)
- Mix. Apply to heels and then wrap with cellophane to keep the moisture in.
- Use a pumice stone to remove dead skin.
Sexy Shape. Included are exercises to target problem areas.
Part II: FEELING BEAUTIFUL
The goal of feeling beautiful is really how you manage your pain and harness energy.
Energy. To restore your energy, consider the following tips:
- DHA, the active form of omega-3, constitutes nerve membranes and keeps the nerves to your muscles firing, as well as encases your msucles. You can get this from fish oils or from the algae fish eat. Try 600 mg of DHA a day, which is equivalent to 2 grams of fish oil.
- Ribose: Start with 500 mg three times a day.
- Physical Activity: One of the best ways to increase your energy is to walk.
- Sleep: Strive for eight hours.
- Food: Avoid simple sugars and drink plenty of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon maca (Lepidium meyenni) plants to your smoothie or take 1/2 gram of the extract twice a day.
- Add Rhodiloa rosea, also an antiaing herb, to vodka and drink at night. A little alcohol every night keeps your cardiovascular system younger.
- Vitamin B: Take a multivitamin twice a day.
- Green Tea: It has the highest antioxidant properties. Just don't drink it with milk. The casein in milk has been shown to inhibit the beneficial effects of tea.
Pain. Many alternative therapies are offered, such as Devil's Claw for arthritis. In addition, omega-3s were mentioned numerous times to help ease the pain associated with irritable bowel syndrome, neuropathies, fibromyalgia, and purported to help anxiety and depression.
Depression. From exercising to increasing endorphins to eating a banana a day (facilitates cross talk among your brain cells and the effect of certain neurotransmitters such as serotonin), Drs. Oz and Roizen offer a plethora of tips to combat depression.
Beauty is money. The book steers you to make financial choices that will help you feel better and live longer.
PART III: BEING BEAUTIFUL. Build Better Relationships. Find the Paths to Happiness.
Improving your love life.
Biology of attraction. Pheromones, odorless steroids, float through the air and stimulate nerves in your nose. The nerve signals are carried to the brain and trigger chemical reactions that end with a question like, "Can I buy you a drink?"
Biology of love. After around four years in a relationship, the chemicals that made you fall in love in the first place start to recede. One way to continue this chemical high is to try new and exotic behaviors. (What's your biggest sex organ? Your brain!)
Sex, sex, and more sex tips. Improving your sex life means avoiding things that decrease blood flow and embracing things that increase blood flow. Take advantage of pheromones. Research shows that the scents of lemons, doughnuts, and licorice increase penile flow. Don't eat the doughnuts. Just smell. For women, douse yourself with baby powder.
How to find true happiness. This chapter covers being positive, feeling empathy, finding authenticity, embracing emotion, exploring spirituality, and understanding unhappiness
Throughout the You: Being Beautiful are tips and tricks to help you become more beautiful than you already are and reegineering your life to become aware of YOU. This is brains on inner and outer beauty.
Where to buy: YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty
Current articles on GWBBB:
- Beauty Product Review: Sonya Dakar Skin Care
- Holiday Survival Guide: 3 Ways to Manage Stress
- Sunday Funnies: 9 Ways To Know You Have Hormonal Issues
- Deal du Jour: Theory Pants
- Total Beauty Web Tour for 11/7/08
- Deal du Jour: Tina Turk for Clinique
- Holiday Survival Guide: Season's Eatings
- Ask Jamie
- Deal du Jour: Banana Republic LBD