A sunscreen with an SPF -- sun protection factor -- rating of 15:
- Lets you stay in the sun safely three hours without sunscreen.
- Filters 93 percent of the sun's UVB rays before they penetrate your skin.
- Prevents up to 15 years of sun-related skin aging.
You picked answer No. 2, and you're correct.
A SPF rating refers to a product's degree of protection from the sun's short-wave UVB rays. SPF 15 filters 93 percent of UVB rays, SPF 30 filters 97 percent and SPF 50 filters 98 percent.
- Sunscreen is best used to protect your skin when you can't avoid the sun (not to extend your time in the sun).
- How well sunscreen protects depends on how well you apply it. Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) to cover your entire body 20 to 30 minutes before going outdoors.
Brains on Beauty Pick du jour:
One new product that I had the opportunity to sample added a few points to my Sun Prevention IQ: Sephora's Limited Edition Sun Safety Kit ($87 value for $25!) I am heading south this week, and I'm packing these 12 fabulous beauty products in my suitcase. (For tips on keeping your complexion fresh and moist while flying, click here.)
What it is: A collection of eleven travel-ready sizes of the best and brightest summer skincare products.
What it does: Lets the sun shine without a care this summer. Sephora prepares you for outdoor fun with the ample sun protection found in the Sephora Brand Sun Safety Kit.
It's packed with a travel-size sunscreen and skincare for the face and body.
What else you need to know: The kit contains the following products:
- 0.05 oz Korres Natural Products Watermelon Sunscreen Face Cream SPF 30
- 0.25 oz Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Defense Moisture Lotion SPF 30
- 1 oz DDF Daily Protective Moisturizer SPF 15
- 0.35 oz Cosmedicine Medi-Matte Oil Control Lotion SPF 20
- 0.17 oz Juice Beauty Green Apple Moisturizer SPF 15
- 1 oz Murad Firming Bronzer SPF 15
- 0.08 oz Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA + + +
- Six single-use packs of MD Skincare Powerful Sun Protection Pads SPF 30
- 0.17 oz Clarins Sun Wrinkle Control Cream Ultra Protection SPF 30
- 0.25 oz Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer SPF 15,
- 0.098 oz Tarte 24/7 Lip Sheer SPF 15, plus a UV indicator card.
No. 12: My old-time fave is Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 30 (Sephora $30). It is truly brains on ageless beauty. It's the smartest thing I've added to my handbag, beach bag, and car since I bought my first Cover Girl Lipstick by Noxema in 1970. Every time I get in the car, I dust this on my face (over makeup) and my pitifully spotted hands. (I should have used a sunscreen on my hands years ago!)
Bad Science: There is no specific SPF-type measurement for UVA protection. To keep your skin protected, look for sunscreens that contain the following ingredients:
What it is: A talc-free, transparent matte, SPF 30 mineral powder in a convenient brush applicator.
What it is formulated to do: Works immediately to block out the sun's harmful UVA/UVB infrared rays to help prevent sunburn, skin damage, freckling, and uneven discoloration as it creates the illusion of smooth, radiant skin.
- Zinc oxide
- Titanium oxidide
Okay, girls. With 12 products, plus 2 extra credit points, plus one bonus point, you have just added 15 points to your overall sun protection IQ. I knew you were smart girls!
Love you and stay pale...or use self-tanner.