Calorie count for popular cocktails and drinks:
- Rum and Diet Coke 133
- Rum and Coke 182
- Glass of white wine 120
- Beer 150
- Gin and Tonic 178
- Bailey's Irish Cream 468
- Martini with an olive 184
- Mint Julep 143
- Old Fashioned 206
- Pina Colada 297
- Screwdriver 200
- Singapore Sling 230
- Sloe Gin Fizz 120
- Tequila Sunrise 253
- Tom Collins 120
- Black Russian 291
- Whisky Sour 166
- Blue Lagoon 179
- White Russian 360
We all know that drinking alcohol increases the munchies. The downside of "Cheers" is that it increases your craving for munchies. Double bummer.
- 4 cups light microwave popcorn 120 calories
- 1 slice cheese pizza 183 calories
- 12-ounce serving of super nachos with cheese (40 chips, 4 ounces of cheese) has more than 1,500 calories -- wow!
- 20-ounce soda 275
- 1 cup of peanuts 828
- 1 ounce potato chips 155 - but I bet you can't eat one.
Beer Belly: One beer every night adds up to 1,036 additional calories per week. Some studies have found that drinking beer or spirits increases the waist-to-hip ratio, while some have found no relationship whatsoever. The ideal hip to waist ratio should be less than one (divide the size of your waist by the size of your hips). If the number you get is more than one, it is a sign you could be prone to heart disease, diabetes, obesity and other heart-related conditions.
Brain on Alcohol: Always drink responsibly and in moderation, but if you do intend to party, here are a few tips:
- Dilute your drink with soda.
- Add ice cubes to keep it chilly and light.
- If you are preparing an alcohol punch, use a non-carbonated base like fruit juice. It should preferably be fresh.
- Eat plenty of food before you start drinking. Eating high protein foods like cheese, chicken and fish will slow down the absorption rate so that the alcohol will not hit your system like a semi truck.
- Avoid too many salty snacks, which end-up making you thirsty as a result of which you drink more.
- Sip your drink slowly instead of guzzling it down. Munch on a snack while downing it.
Make sure the snack is roasted or baked, not deep-fried.
The next time you are at a party and have the urge to guzzle down a few beers, envision that big beer belly that could put Buddha to shame.
Keep moving but move responsibly.
Brain Spasm: The Wall Street Journal has a good article on low-cal meals from restaurants, like Chili's, Applebee's, and Subway.