Brains on Confidence: Every woman who reads this blog hopefully will extract a piece of kick-ass confidence and ownership of their beauty. Nothing is more beautiful than an empowered, self-confident woman. Whether you are a baby boomer or twenty-something, the age you are now is the best age ever!
The first thing you need to put on in the morning is not your Jimmy Choo shoes and volumizing mascara and lip balm. The first thing you need to put on in the morning is CONFIDENCE.
Your perception of yourself has an enormous impact on how others perceive you. Perception is reality, and the more self-confidence you have, the more likely it is you’ll have more life successes. Invest in confidence first --whether it be through education, counseling, exercise -- and you will be beautiful. Self-love, self-acceptance, and self-esteem is the trifecta of beauty and are better wagers than fashion and beauty products.
Here are some ideas to help you increase your confidence in creating and loving your own look:
- Remember that you are the most important person to impress. Look for items that say something about who you are.
- Embrace colors and ideas that you love. Don’t be afraid to be unique.
Have fun expressing YOUR sense of style through fun accessories such as jewelry, handbags, belts, and shoes.
- Be sure to stand tall. Your posture tells others how you feel about yourself.
- Be wise and appreciate your own body type. This means accepting its flaws as well as celebrating all the good parts! Accentuate the parts of your body that you love.
- Take out time each day to give yourself joy.
- Speak up for yourself when another is hurting you.
- Forgive yourself when you make so-called "mistakes."
- Follow your highest joy.
- Do what you love or love what you do.
- Make time for hobbies, your family, and solitude.
- Enjoy your own company.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Surround yourself with colors, textures, and scents that please you.
- Treat yourself to acts of kindness and appreciation.
- Become your own best friend.
- Always listen to and follow your intuition.
- Always speak kindly of yourself.
- Find a mentor who can help you reach your goal.
- Surround yourself with people who are positive and supportive and who like and respect you. Be sure to reciprocate. Dump anybody that erodes your self-confidence.
- Radiate a positive look and others will want to be around you.
- Don’t be afraid of failures. Take them in stride and move on.
- Keep yourself fit by exercising regularly and eating healthy. Physical fitness, like self-confidence, is better than an expensive outfit.
- Take an active interest in what’s going on in the world. My mother always read the front of the Wall Street Journal before she would leave for a social function and could hold a conversation with anyone.
- Take part in activities that you are good at.
- Happy minds are busy minds. Don't focus all your attention on your problems. Divert your attention to new interests and new tasks. This will not only occupy your mind but boost your self-confidence.
- SMILE! A smile is not only contagious but your best accessory.
In other words, Woman-Up.
If you are in need of help, please seek professional advice. This blog should not replace a mental health care provider. You can email us with questions or concerns you might be having at .